The Friends of Blandford Community Hospital
Registered Charity : 800482
Serving the community since 1948
The Friends organisation was founded in 1948 and continues to serve the Community and Hospital.
We are a registered charity committed to supporting patients and former patients of Blandford Community Hospital and others within the local community who are sick, convalescent, disabled, handicapped, infirm or in need of assistance and generally to support the hospital in delivering excellent standards of treatment and care. We are also part of the Dorset network of Leagues of Friends and affiliated to Attend, The National Association of Friends.
Our membership, currently approximately 1000 members, also provides a representative voice in local healthcare matters and this is of course of utmost importance at present in view of the imminent radical changes to the delivery of healthcare.
This website is designed to give you an overall view of the Friends, our projects, fundraising and activities.
BLANDFORD LEISURE CENTRE – SPECIAL OFFER
As part of the ongoing desire of the Friends to promote healthy living we are pleased to announce the Leisure Centre have agreed our members qualify for Corporate rate membership at a substantially reduced rate.
The special rate of £27.20 per month or £272 per annum represents a hefty 25% reduction on standard rate and gives inclusive access to the fitness suite, swimming pool and over 35 group exercise classes per week. Suitable classes are available for the entire age range.
Any paid up member wishing to avail themselves of this tremendous offer please contact the Friends office on 01258 450095 who will arrange the issue of an authorisation card with which to show the Leisure centre staff.
Get this Christmas off to a hale and hearty start and lets give the London Olympics a run for their money!
Blandford's first hospital was founded in 1889, when public subscription, local enthusiasm and the generosity of the Portman Family resulted in the opening of a small, 5-bed establishment in Salisbury Street.
The interest of the Portman family continued, and just two years later they provided a new purpose built cottage hospital on the present site.
Over the years because of the continual support of the public and the Friends, there were extensions, and the addition of more up to date amenities, such as an X-ray unit and a massage department. Within the limits of size and facilities, the hospital served the town and district extremely well.
Then, in the late 1970s, came the exciting plans for great developments: the building of a modern, and well equipped Community hospital, to serve Blandford and the surrounding villages with medical services previously quite unobtainable outside the large district hospitals at Dorchester, Weymouth and Poole. The Day Hospital caters for those who need part-time care and attention; the Milldown Unit for mental health needs; X-Ray, Ultrasound, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy units provide much needed local services; wards provide both long term and short term care for patients in this area. In recent years the hospital, with the support of the Friends, has continued to go from strength to strength. There have been many changes in the management of health care services throughout the area and these changes are ongoing. The hospital however continues to thrive and provide excellent local care to our community.
Website maintained on a no fee basis by Hot Creative Media Ltd